Skip to Content

Prince Albert

Man found guilty in brutal murder-sex assault case

John Shaoulle has been found guilty of first-degree murder at the Court of Queen's Bench in Prince Albert.

He was accused of brutally sexually assaulting and strangling a Margaret Sewap in Prince Albert.

Her naked body was found on April 8, 2011 behind the Bolt Supply Store on 17th Street East.

At the end of October Shaoulle's defense council, Ian Mokuruk, argued there was no proof that the DNA ended up there during the commission of the murder.

Grief services help loved ones of murdered Jodi Roberts

The La Ronge RCMP confirmed on Tuesday that the human remains found in a wooded area near Sucker River were those of Jodi Roberts.

As the family deals with the realization that their loved one is not coming back, the Lac La Ronge Indian Band Office is extending its hand in support.

Chief Tammy Cook-Searson said they have multiple support networks in place for not only the family, but the community.

Sask. family searches for miracle for young child

Imagine having a perfectly healthy little boy, running around, giggling and laughing at Thanksgiving and just more than a week later, being told that he will not live a year.

This has been the reality for the Nathan and Megan Maier family who, just a few months ago moved to an acreage at Preeceville, Sask. from Ontario.

“Leif (Maier) had just gotten glasses,” recalled Megan Maier’s mom, Lois Person. “He had a lazy eye, like so many kids do. Then it was getting worse so they went to see the eye doctor in Yorkton but there was nothing suspicious.”

Inmate found dead at PA Provincial Correctional Centre

Prince Albert Police Service and correctional officials are investigating the death of an inmate at the Prince Albert Provincial Correctional Centre.

Correctional workers found the man, who was in custody for undisclosed charges, in his cell on the evening of Nov. 23. The man was the only inmate in the cell.

“Correctional workers found him in his cell, so that would lead to a death in custody investigation which will take three different avenues,” ministry of corrections and policing spokesperson Drew Wilby said.

Prince Albert man found not guilty on child porn charges

A Prince Albert man facing three child pornography-related charges has been found not guilty on all counts in court on Thursday.

Paul Skotheim, 48, was on trial for possessing, making available and accessing child pornography at the Saskatchewan Provincial Court in Prince Albert.

Abused trust 2: School division apologizes at end of 14-year lawsuit

For almost 15 years, three women pushed the Saskatchewan Rivers School Division to apologize for victimization they suffered as students.

The abuse revolved around Prince Albert teacher Dennis Foster, who taught for almost 20 years in the school division, from 1975 to 1993.

The women overcame numerous hurdles, twists, and what one of them calls “game playing” during that process.

The need for closure

A written apology from Sask. Rivers School Division is a letter Tammy Gollan waited 15 years to read.

Abused trust: 19 years of youth stripped away

For almost 15 years, three women pushed the Saskatchewan Rivers School Division (SRSD) to apologize for victimization they suffered as students.

The sexual abuse revolved around Prince Albert teacher Dennis Foster who taught for almost 20 years in the school division, from 1975 to 1993.

The women’s lawsuit finally settled outside court last month with the long-awaited apology and an undisclosed cash payment.

However, their memories of what happened almost 40 years ago are still fresh.

Where it all began

CN Rail employee fatally injured while working near Tisdale

RCMP and CN officials have confirmed a man has died in a train-related incident Monday evening in Crooked River, near Tisdale.

"At approximately 6:30 p.m. yesterday evening, Nov. 18, a CN employee was fatally injured in the performance of his duties near Tisdale," said Warren Chandler, of public affairs with CN.

Tisdale, Melfort and Humboldt RCMP all assisted CN Police in investigating the incident before fully handing the matter over to CN Police, according to a statement from RCMP.

Filipino woman in Prince Albert still concerned for family

It has been just over a week since Typhoon Haiyan devastated parts of the Philippines but one Prince Albert resident is still worried about her family back home.

The official death toll is more than 3,600 and almost 1,200 people are still missing, including 55 Canadians.

Mary Joy Santiago immigrated to Canada from the Philippines in 2006. On Monday she said she has heard from some of her cousins, but she’s still waiting to hear from some of her father’s family.

P.A. man explains ShelterBox Canada program sending aid to Philippines

With more than 11.3 million people affected by Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines, people around the world are coming together to help send donations of any kind to the hardest-hit areas.

The international humanitarian relief organization ShelterBox International is helping with the cause. ShelterBox Canada is a partner with ShelterBox International and Prince Albert’s Lyle Karasiuk, with Parkland Ambulance, is a local ambassador for Shelter Box Canada.

Karasiuk explained what the shelter actually is.

Syndicate content